Passion


A rather quick update, i know, but i've just read claire's blog (check out the link in me friend's section) and i've gotten all inspired. So majorly i'm going to talk about music too....somewhat....amongst other things.....

Following the weekend, i'm supposed to start meeting with the guys (Ian, Mike, Miggy, maybe Joe and Luca, heck who knows who else) to start up a proper sort of "band". I say "band" cause we want to develop worship, and being as it's going to be pretty free with regards to those taking part, it might end up turning into more of a team than a 4- or 5-guy set up. Either way, it's all good. I'm really excited to get things set up. I mean we play every week at community, and we do outreaches and healing services and all that, but it's nice to getting to develop music with your friends when you're not on a deadline. I also really want to get down to writing some songs, maybe put an album together. It's something i've always wanted to do, and now we've got all the equipment that we could ever ask for and more! It's such a blessing, and i'd hate to waste it. Especially as i know when (/if lol) i graduate i'm not going to have so much time for these kinds of things.

I think the biggest reason for my urge to write material is because of what we're writing about. That's the beauty of christian music. Whether it's a slow, ministry song, or a jumpy praise one, even if it's an old churchy type song that you don't even like, you can still sing it and really mean what you're saying. I've tried writing songs in the past, i mean i've written a few poems and stuff, but they always turn out a little depressive (cause i kept basing them on minor chords). My biggest problem was that i always went too deep with the lyrics, and it's hard to relate to the song. I think this is cause i didn't really have anything to write about, except the emotions i had from whatever experiences i was going through.

This is something great about finding God in your life, about living for God. It's something to be passionate about, something that i AM passionate about, and it gives me something to communicate to the world. Having something concrete to sing about, not just about how bad you feel cause this happened to you, or cause this person made you feel that way (emo galore, bleh hehe). To have something that extends beyond you, that's bigger than you, and to have your entire life based around that one thing, is beautiful. This is why i'm itching to start, cause i've got something i want to share with the world, and a passion to share it with!

I'm going to add a new section to my links, try to share what christian music really is and what it's about. If you hadn't noticed, i'm trying to break the stereotype hehe. I'm sorry this rant turned out so long, but hey, when i have something to write about, i write indeed.

A little update of what i've been up to today. I took me car in for it's first inspection. After reading Thud! for 45 min while i waited for the car to be inspected, it was taken in and taken back out 5 min later. That was it. Wow, car maintenance, such fun. After that I shot off to Uni to make it just in time for the archbishop's talk, followed by ash wednesday mass in the chapel. Was really nice. After that had one lecture, now i'm back home. Hopefully i'll study a bit before worship team tonight....... enjoying life too much right now!!

Out.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Worship music. No idea. Music in general, actually. No idea. I'm bland that way ;)

Anyhow, glad you're enjoying life, keep it up o/

claire_88 said...

Wowwww band! So cool!

About songwriting. Don't dismiss songs because you think no-one will get them. Someone always will! Personal songs are usually the best. Don't write about the normal, generic stuff!

Yours shinily,
Claire ^^

PS: Thanks for the plug. I just realised that both you and Chris have linked to my blog! X'gharukaza, I must return the favour!

Simon said...

gah...everytime i realise how much more i could express my love towards God by music I really want to start learnigin an instrument...I mean art is ok-ish in that respect, but music is somehow more alive...ehh...go for the band and the album Matt, i know you'de do a great job in worship

top