Cost Effective

There comes a point in ones life, not one but several, where it's necessary to slow down and take stock of what's important; to realise what you spend your time doing and what you want to spend your time doing. How you spend your days is how you spend your life. I think I'm slowly progressing to one of those points.

Time management. Our single most useful ally and simultaneously our worst enemy. Well, mine at the very least. As I was having dinner I mulled over the fact that I distinctly remember a time in my life where I'd have to think up things to do because if I didn't, I'd get bored. I'd watch TV. I'd play video games. I'd read books. These days I have to try and find a slot in my schedule to do any of these things. How ever did life get so busy? I'd even go so far as to say that I miss having time to be more devoted to my studies. Now that's saying something.

Don't take this from the wrong end, I'm happy to be involved in everything that I'm doing. In fact there's a whole list of other things I'd love to do if I only had the time. And therein lies the problem - time. There just doesn't seem to be enough of it; though I'm fairly certain I still get the same daily ration I've always had, it doesn't seem to be quite enough anymore. I don't calculate in days anymore, I think in terms of weeks, of dates, and of monthly planners. Everything's a slot, an availability, a schedule. I'm enslaved to the calendar on my mobile phone.

I could probably achieve everything I want to do if I could manage my time better. In other words, if I was C3PO. But I'm human. I'm lazy. I take half an hour to get out of bed in the morning. I spend an hour on the computer "checking emails". I get headaches. The fact of the matter is that I'm just not efficient most of the time. In a world where everything is constantly advancing one thing that seems to remain in version 1.0 is me.

But you know, I don't believe time was made to be managed and scheduled. It's there to be lived. So, all in all, what does it all boil down to? How much stuff you've got going on in your life? How much you resemble a british speaking android? Possibly. It's definitely responsible for part of the answer. But I think the heart of the matter is in attitude. Where are you living? In tomorrow's meeting? In the gym session at 2pm? Or here, now?

Out.

1 comments:

Simon said...

i'm living in he yesterday, is that an option?
i like the ink to the photo for those uncultured swine who don't know who he is :P
and i think the difference between when we where young and now, is that we were happy spending our time in front of the tv or such things, now we feel the need to be doing something

top